Aires Mateus Architects
Manuel Aires Mateus (Lisbon, 1963), graduated at the Faculty of Architecture –U.T.L. in 1986.
He collaborates with Francisco Aires Mateus, since 1988.
He teaches, since 1986, in several universities:
– Accademia di Architettura di Mendrisio, Switzerland
– Graduate School of Design, in Harvard
– Cornell University College of Architecture, Art and Planning
– Faculty of Architecture of Universidade Autónoma de Lisboa
– Oslo Architecture School
– Faculty of Architecture of the University of Ljubljana
– The Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Navarra, in Pamplona.
The studio’s work has been presentin several countries, being development from its premises inLisbon, Portugal.
Many of the studio’s projects have been published in monographies, including El Croquis, AV,GA, A+U, 2G, C3, d’Arco, A.MAG, TC Cuadernos, amongothers.
Aires Mateus has been awarded several prizes, both national and international, including the Valmor Prize, Secil Prize, Ecola Prize, Enor Prize, FAD Awards, the prize of the Ibero-American Architecture Biennale, and has had several projects been nominatedfor the Mies van der Rohe Awards. In 2017, he received the Pessoa Prize.
Hisprojects have always dealt with the role of memory and knowledge, with the relationship between the physical and the cultural world.The workseeks to reflect every scale involving us, evoking a will to design. It searchesforthe perennialstate of shape and materiality –over the continuity of time.
About the project House in Leiria (On beliefs and opsessions) you can read in Oris 79